I’m so delighted to announce the release of AppGini 5.80. The new version includes some exciting new features that will add more power to your apps and save you more time. This post takes a thorough look into those new features.
Calculated fields are read-only fields that get populated automatically with a value calculated from any formula you specify. The formula for a calculated field must be a MySQL-compatible SQL query that returns a single value. The value returned from the SQL query is saved to the calculated field whenever the record containing that field is accessed by users.
Calculated fields can be very helpful in numerous scenarios. For example, to automatically calculate and update the subtotal and total of an invoice, number of students enrolled to a course, average score of course, due date of an invoice (for example if you want to set a business rule to set a due date of an invoice to 15 days after issue date), most recent status of a shipment, flag overdue tasks, indicate if prospect customer should be contacted today … etc. There are endless possibilities to applying calculated fields.
The query helper window
For more details and example SQL queries for common scenarios, please refer to the calculated fields page in the online help.
Automatically copy child records when copying parent
Enhanced UI of group permissions page for faster editing
We made some time-saving enhancements to the group permissions page. Under the Admin area, open the Groups menu and click on View groups to see a list of configured user groups. Click on any of the groups listed to open its permissions page, where you can configure how the users under this group can access each table in your AppGini application.
What we added in this new release is a button with a checkmark to the right of each permission. Click this button to open a menu where you can select a permission value to apply to all tables at once. For example, if you want that user group to view only that group’s records in all tables rather than all records, click on Set all to Group, as shown in the screenshot to the left. This would select the Group option for all tables, saving you the time to select it manually for each table.
We did the same for tables as well. So, you can open the checkmark button to the right of any table, and select a permission value to apply to all permissions of that table.
Enhanced UI for ‘Specify output folder’ window
Enhanced file upload UI with minimum frustration!
We made some slight enhancements to the file upload UI, displaying file type/size errors before submitting changes, and allowing users to clear the upload field. This saves users the frustration of waiting for a large and slow upload to finish, then see a daunting error message about wrong file type or too large size. Now, they can know this instantly, before anything is uploaded.
Smart enhancements to auto-complete drop-downs
When you define a field as a lookup field, or an options list (with 5 options or more), it’s displayed to users in the detail view in the form of an auto-complete drop-down. User can type a few characters and see a list of matching items. As of AppGini 5.80, those searches return more relevant items first, and the matching part of each item is highlighted more clearly. For example, in the above screenshot, typing
ran displays the items that begin with
ran first, followed by those containing
Developer/admin technical documentation
setInterval()that repeats a callback function
intervalmilliseconds and stops when
conditioncallback function returns
AppGini.currentTableName()returns the current table name as a string.
- Added the following functions to the PHP API (accessible in PHP code you add to hooks):
get_parent_tables($table_name)returns an array of parent tables for given child table.
curl_batch($handlers)executes provided array of cURL handlers asynchronously, ignoring server responses.
jwt_*this is a group of functions for handling JWT authentication to allow API functionality in future releases. We’ll provide a more detailed documentation as future releases become fully API-ready.
Other fixes and enhancements
- Bug fix in Edit record ownership page.
- Preserve table view settings when going back from TV using the top left (table name) link, just like when clicking Cancel/Back button.
- Fixed: Changes to rich text (nicedit) are not detected by the Save changes button.
- When saving CSV files, set the name to include date and time to make it easier to version CSVs if users are downloading them frequently.
- Fixed: Prevent triggering of auto-loading for
- Added a UI hint for lookup fields that have custom queries.
- Fixed a potential run time error when resetting a custom query to default one for a lookup field.
- Fixed: Configured data format for field should take priority over default date/time formatting in both table view and detail view.
- Fixed a bug that lead to failure generating some files when some special UTF8 characters are used in table/field captions.
How to get the latest version of AppGini?
- If you are a new user, you can download the free trial version or order AppGini Pro.
- If you are an existing Pro user, you can log in to the download area, where you can download the latest Pro version if you bought a pro/upgrade license one year ago or later, or order an upgrade license in case your current license is older than one year.